Tuesday, June 20, 2006

June Cherry Pick

My June "Cherry Pick" of the month is the 2002 Allégresse from Colvin Vineyards. Allegresse is a Bordeaux-style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (77%), Merlot (15%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Carmenère (3%). It has done very well showing. In fact, for this red blend, Mark Colvin, winemaker and owner, placed gold at 2006 L.A. County Fair Wines of the World and two silvers at the Seattle Wine Society and the Dallas Morning News Wine Competition.

Colvin Vineyards is a small family-owned winery. They have been producing red varietals and unique blends since 1999. Colvin Vineyards is also one of the few producers of Carmenere in the Valley. In fact, their Carmenere has done very well showing in competitions, as well.

So how does the Allegresse taste? The nose is very lively with bramble berrries and roses. Reaching back into my memory, the fragrance reminded me of my grandmother's old-fashion garden early in the morning. The berries continue on the palate. Tastes of juicy blackberries, blueberries and rich mocha flavors. This is a very rich wine that you can enjoy now, but even better to lay it down for awhile. And that advise is exactly what I plan on doing with my bottle. One for tasting and now one to lay down. In the mean time, I will probably check in on my bottle to see how it is doing. You know, dust it, talk to it. Ask it how it is feeling and if it is having a nice day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...